Friday, April 18, 2008

Pickguard 102

After yesterday's failure with making the actual pickguard. I decided to try again.

I realize that the when the Dremel runs too hard, too fast and long, the bit heats up and melts the template. The Dremel router bit doesn't have a bearing but a section of the shaft that extends below the cutting bit. It was a minor set back and was still salvageable.

I cut the pickguard material almost flush with the template and then sanded it even with the template. The with the 45 degree router bit in my Dremel, I went very slow at a slow speed, stopping frequently to allow the bit to cool. This worked great.

Then I attached the pickguard to the body and use my template cutting router bit to cut out the neck and pick up sections. This would line the pickguard up perfectly with the existing cut outs on the body. All went well until the top section that runs along the neck, it snapped off. I am out of material for the pickguard and I had just enough to make the cover plate for the tremolo on the back of the giutar.

No comments: