Saturday, April 5, 2008

Big Red



So I had an extra Neck and now an extra body. All I needed were a few more parts and I could build another bass.

Ebay to the rescue. Again, I bought the majority of parts off of Ebay. I found the bridge and tuners, all in black from varies listings on Ebay.

I found the jazz pickup for the neck in a smoking deal from Ebay. Later I purchased the precision pickup, also from ebay.

The pickups on this bass are active EMG pickups. The nice thing about EMG these pickups, each came with a volume and tone pot, battery clip and jack. I combined the sets to wire this bass in a standard jazz bass configuration but with an eighteen volt system instead of the standard nine volt. EMG recommends the 18 volt set up.

I had all black hardware and a very yellow maple neck. I had to choose a color to bring all of this together. I decided on a candy apple over silver, clearcoated on top; all from the local auto parts store.

Everything came together and made a great bass. The Eden neck is very straight and easy to play without any adjustment to the truss rod. The bass has a great sound whether it is plugged in or not with great sustain. An Eden neck is on the way for the Strat Bass. Now I had an extra neck and an extra body.

No comments: