Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bummer

My uncle wasn't at his shop today so I came home and proceeded to cut out my pickguard,

Now I have already made a trial run with a piece of cheap plexiglass, But today my Dremel decides to go haywire and the bit slips, ruining my pickgaurd material as well as the template. I think I still have enough material to make another pickguard and the tremolo cover.

So I started making a new template, When I started to drill out the corners for the pickups, then the template cracked. Uggg! So I started to cut out another one. I drilled everything first so I wouldn't was my time cutting it out if it cracked. So far so good.

I still have some final sanding to do and I have to drill the holes for the controls. I think I'll reposition the knobs a little closer together to make more room for the tone control at the end.

Lesson learned. The acrylic sheets make it easy to transfer the design and to smooth out the rough areas, but any template that needs a router's touch should be made of something thicker and less resistant to chipping and cracking.

I'm tired of this and it is time for beer and wings.

No comments: