Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Logo

If I am going to build bass guitars, I am going to need a logo. I found a posting on the internet on how someone else did it but It seemed very labor intensive. There are options to buy one off of Ebay but that seemed to lack the personal touch I wanted.

I was walking through Hobby Lobby one day as my wife shopped and I came across decal paper made by Testors. Anyone who has built models knows about water-slide decals.

Essentially this is a clear transparency that can be printed upon by a inkjet printer. Testors makes an opaque one too.

I thought I would give it a try. I created my logo from several components.

The bass cleft and staff was downloaded from the internet. I did have to edit it to make the staff long enough for my use. I used a program call "Snagit" to get the individual components used and my Photoshop Elements program to edit and combined them. I used Microsoft Word to get the letters for the logo.

I really hit the learning curve for Elements for this project; learning about layers and such. The finished project was very rewarding.

If you are interested in creating a logo of your own; I would suggest using the largest elements possible, so when you shrink it down to the size you need, it will retain as much detail as possible. Also use the sheet feed option for your printer for a straighter shot through the printer in order to keep the transparency from bending (it takes the wet ink off!) Testors recommends a transparency fixative to spray over the finished product before you apply it, but I just used clearcoat.

No comments: