Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Bridge is Here



The bridge came in today but without any instructions. I was able to download them from the internet. Hipshot sells a template set for $40.

The instructions really try to steer you in that direction, with measurements listed like 3 63/64 inches and 3 13/32 inches. I need a laser for that kind of accuracy. I figure I would measure to the next visible measurement and cut inside the lines, and with the additional layers of paint would make it close enough. How much difference is 4 inches from 3 63/64 and 3 7/16 from 3 13/32? This thing moves after all. I think that clearance and coverage of the top route would be most important.

Anyway, it was time to make another template. I did this on the body template and boy did I screw it up. I cut it with a plastic cutting wheel on my Dremel and it took forever. It ended up real uneven and oversized. I made another on on a seperate piece and it came out nearly perfect. Drilling a pilot hole and a jigsaw is the best way to make the templates. Then I took down the remaining material with the Dremel and file and ended up smoothing it all up with the palm sander.

The only other real mistake I've made is that I had to redrill a hole on the pickguard because the original one was too close to the neck.

As soon as I quit agonizing over the choices of router bits to use; I will be ready to start routing and cutting out the body.

Everything else is on order and will be here soon.

No comments: