Thursday, April 10, 2008

More Templates and My Fretless Bass



I made the template for the pickguard last night. My pickups arrived yesterday. I put them all together to get and idea of what the finished product will look like. Because it was hard to see both templates; I put a piece of paper under the pickguard template. At the top with the blueprint is the template to route out the neck pocket.



I put my fretless together for the family portrait. Then I took the body out for yet another coat of tung oil.

I put the neck and bridge on the fretless last week to line up the holes for the neck plate. I had the top and bottom strings on it to line it up. So I got a chance to play it a little bit. It's going to be fun learning how to play the fretless.

I bought a palm sander today and it makes smoothing out the edges of the templates much easier than with a rasp, file and sandpaper. I finished the pickguard and made the neck pocket template this afternoon.

I'm through with the templates until I get my bridge. Then I'll be ready to route everything out and then cut it out with a bandsaw.

No comments: